State Legislative Manager
- Washington, DC
- Full Time
Title: State Legislative Manager
Reports to: State Legislative Director
Direct reports: none
Hours: full-time, non-exempt
Location: Washington, DC
Led by former Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords, Giffords is a nonprofit organization whose team is on a mission to save lives from gun violence. Giffords is proud to be an equal opportunity employer committed to creating an environment that celebrates diversity, equity and inclusion. People of color, trans individuals, gender non-conforming individuals, women, people with differing abilities, and veterans are strongly encouraged to apply.
Giffords is seeking a State Legislative Manager to join our team. The State Legislative Manager will manage efforts achieving progress toward Giffords’ legislative priorities in target states and serves as a liaison to elected officials, key stakeholders, and staff at the state level. The successful candidate will collaborate with their Giffords colleagues and state partners to enact life-saving legislation in their target states.
This is a full-time position based in our Washington DC office. This position requires the ability and willingness to travel up to 25% of the time, as well as interest and ability in staffing occasional weekend and evening events. As the safety and wellbeing of our team is of utmost importance, Giffords has been following strict COVID protocols including a mostly-remote work schedule with occasional travel and in-person events and meetings. Starting this April, our office will be reopening and this position will be expected to work in a hybrid model.
Applications are accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Due to the high volume of applicants, no phone calls or emails, please.
Duties + Responsibilities:
- Execute work plans for advancing Giffords’ gun violence prevention priorities in multiple state legislatures.
- Support relationships with state legislators and their staff, stakeholders, and state advocates through frequent communication and by providing guidance and resources on the issue of gun safety.
- Monitor and report on legislative developments on an ongoing basis.
- Work with the state legislative team to develop resources and materials in support of Giffords’ state legislative agenda.
- Collaborate with colleagues to draft state policy content for social media and press releases, or as needed.
- Represent Giffords to state allies and partners to strengthen relationships, communicate Giffords’ goals, and provide education regarding gun safety issues.
- Manage in-state contract lobbyists where applicable.
- Develop a strong understanding and knowledge of the political dynamics in target states.
- Collaborate with Giffords policy, research, and litigation teams to maintain a strong, integrated state legislative program in advancement of gun safety policies.
- Collaborate with the Community Violence Initiative team on community violence policies at state and local levels and oversee the execution of legislative strategies in support of those policies.
- Other duties as assigned
Required knowledge, skills + experience
- Two to three years of full-time experience working with legislation or lobbying and advocacy at local, state, or federal levels
- Commitment to Giffords’ mission to combat the gun violence epidemic in America
- Ability to manage and assess multiple programs and competing priorities in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to coordinate effectively with allied organizations, build new relationships, and create partnerships
- Demonstrated problem-solving skills and ability to be flexible
- Ability to travel
- Strong interpersonal skills, sense of humor and ability to work well on a team
- Excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills
- A commitment to inclusion, diversity, equity, and anti-racism.
Valued non-essential knowledge, skills, + experience
- Love of state legislative politics and policy
- Experience working specifically on gun violence prevention policy
Salary + benefits
The salary range for this position begins at $60,000 annually with the exact salary depending on experience. Competitive benefits include employer-funded health, dental, and vision insurance; health, transit, and parking flexible spending accounts; 401k plan with 4% employer match; 25 days of PTO annually plus paid week closure between Christmas and New Year’s; and ten paid federal holidays.
Applying + the interview process
Submit your resume and a brief cover letter (400 words maximum) that outlines three specific ways that you would be a good fit for this position. Our interview process for this position consists of a phone interview, a video interview, a skills assessment exercise, and reference checks.
Giffords is proud to be an equal opportunity employer committed to creating an environment that celebrates diversity, equity and inclusion. People of color, trans individuals, gender non-conforming individuals, women, people with differing abilities, and veterans are strongly encouraged to apply.